Well, hello there! I hope you’re reading this while wearing your cosy Christmas onesie and sipping some spiced hot chocolate — because that’s what I’m doing! No, not really; not yet, anyway. I have actually just arrived in Oxfordshire, where I will be spending Christmas with my mum and my sister’s family.
Seriously, I could not be more excited about Christmas this year. Not only because I could seriously use the time to catch up on all the Christmas films I’ve never seen yet (the list is embarrassingly long) and spend quality time with my family, but because I’m taking part in this wonderful thing called the Vegan Christmas Blog Crawl. I organised this with Fab, the sassy gal behind Passion Junkie, and we’re joined by Ceri from Natural Kitchen Adventures, Lane from Green Spirit Adventures, and Hedi from Hedi Hearts. All these amazing women have come together to create some truly mouth-watering recipes for a totally fabulous vegan Christmas.
Since I’m closing the Blog Crawl (insert sad face — it’s been so much fun!) I thought it was time for the kind of Christmas recipes that is totally over-the-top, can’t-get-enough-of-it, don’t-care-how-many-calories-it-contains delicious. This could only mean one thing: it needed to contain alcohol, chocolate, and lots and lots of whipped coconut cream.
Enter the Vegan Irish Cream Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream.
Loosen that top button, m’dears, you’ll need it! I honestly can’t think of anything I’d rather be having while I’m vegetating on the sofa for the duration of the Christmas holiday! As you can see from the photos, this drink is best enjoyed steaming hot with a few slices of my Cranberry & Pumpkin Loaf.
So my lovelies, I hope you are all surrounded by your loved ones, be they blood relatives or adopted family, furry friends, good food, and a pile of excellent Christmas DVDs. I will (hopefully) be posting again near New Year’s Eve with a special recipe for you all, and then things are going to get hectic again for me, but you can keep in touch with me through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Bloglovin‘.
Vegan Irish Cream Hot Chocolate With Whipped Cream
Notes: You can use either light or full-fat coconut milk, but if using full-fat, you may not want to reduce the liquid so much; just simmer for 5 minutes, the liquid will be thick enough already. There will also be more to drink 🙂 I get my Freedom Mallows from Holland & Barrett, but you can find vegan marshmallows online too.
1x 400ml can of coconut milk
2 tsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp espresso powder
2 tsp cacao powder
1 tbsp Jameson Irish Whiskey
250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
2 tsps agave nectar, maple syrup or Sweet Freedom Original
Vegan marshmallows (as many as you like!), I use Freedom Mallows
1. In a small bowl, whisk the coconut cream and sweetener of your choice until thick and fluffy. Refrigerate until needed. I like to make this the night before when I have the time and/or foresight, because depending on the brand of coconut cream, it may require more or less time to properly stiffen.
2. Add the brown sugar and espresso powder to a small saucepan. Pour in a little of the coconut milk and place the pan over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar and espresso in the liquid. Once this is done, add the rest of the coconut milk.
3. Bring to a boil, and when the liquid starts to bubble up, reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the liquid (you don’t want it to boil over), and stir regularly.
4. Remove the plan from the heat. Stir in the cacao powder and Irish Whiskey.
5. Pour into two mugs, top with a generous dollop of coconut cream and your marshmallows. Enjoy!
Psst — there are only 2 days till Christmas! Panicked about what you’ll eat? Get my ebook THE VEGAN COOKIE FAIRY’S CHRISTMAS RECIPES on Amazon to have the best vegan Christmas ever. Don’t forget to sign up for email updates and follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Tumblr! You can also follow my blog through Bloglovin‘.
Love and cookies,